A recent survey conducted by Indian Thyroid Society shows that one in ten adults in India suffers from hypothyroidism.
Women are three times more likely to be affected by hypothyroidism than men.Even hypothyroidism continues to grow significantly in the country,the disease awareness and diagnosis remains low.
Effects of Hypothyroidism
It can cause elevated cholesterol levels,increased blood pressure, the decrease in fertility,increase the rate of cardiovascular complications,depression,increased the risk for baby's health in a pregnant woman.
Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can have adverse effects on a person’s health. The symptoms and signs of the condition can vary from person to person depending on the severity of the condition.
Some of the common symptoms of hypothyroidism are:
- Extreme tiredness
- Feeling fragile all the time
- Poor memory and confusion in thought process
- Skin dryness
- Stiffness in joints and muscles
- Bloating or fluid retention in the body
- Menorrhagia (prolonged or excessive menstrual bleeding)
- Increased sweating
- Heat Intolerance
- Increased bowel movements
- Slight limb shaking
- Excessive fatigue
- Increased heart rate
- Unexpected weight loss
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Lack of concentration
- It can lead to irregular heart rhythms and even heart failure in the elderly.
- If untreated it may result in a condition called thyroid storm, where a person can suffer from high blood pressure, fever leading to a heart failure.
- In Graves’ disease, there may be eye changes and skin changes in addition to the other symptoms.
Natural remedies to cure thyroid disorders
- Take the tree bark of Mimusops elengi(Spanish cherry,medlar,bullet wood) and make it a paste with rice water (without any contact with iron) and apply to the outer region of affected part.
- Make a paste of the Kaempferia galanga(Kacholam) leaf and apply it.
- Take Achyranthes Aspera(Prickly chaff flower,Cherukataladi),Desmodium triflorum(Creeping Tick Trefoil,Nilamparanda),Black musli Yam(Curculigo orchioides, Nilappana kizhangu).Mix these three items equally and add it to milk.Then consume it.
- Take some cow urine and allow it to drain and add a little turmeric to it.Make like a capsule and have it.
- Most medicines with the ingredient as Guggulu(Commiphora Mukul) are also good.